Our first Real-Time Retreat on April 15, 2020 was a Town & Country visit to The Dorchester in London (“town”) and Coworth Park in Ascot (“country”), both Dorchester Collection Hotels.
We hope you’ll break out your fanciest hat, wear a dress or (for gentlemen) an ascot (how appropriate!), brew a pot of tea or pour yourself some bubbly, and use the recipes below to create scones and/or sandwiches... and let’s fly away to beautiful England together!
The lovely Nuria Candel will be leading us through our “Town & Country” tour next week and showing us two of her stunning Dorchester Collection properties.
She’s been with Dorchester Collection for five years. Nuria lives in Atlanta, GA, and is a certified scuba diver.
The Ultimate Tea Party At Home
While saddened we can’t welcome you to Coworth Park this Easter, Executive Chef at Coworth Park Adam Smith shares his special scone and egg and cress finger sandwich recipes so you can recreate your own tea party at home.
A BRITISH TRADITION
A classic tradition and a well-loved custom, no afternoon tea is complete without gorgeously fluffy scones and finger sandwiches. Creating your own afternoon tea at home is the perfect way to mark a special occasion or simply while away an afternoon.
EASY TO MAKE
Most ingredients included are items you’ll likely already have in the cupboard, so they are also really easy items to make. I’m confident that once you’ve tried this recipe it will be one you come back to time and again. Just add a pot of tea!
Scones are a British staple, they’re relatively easy to make and never better than when fresh from the oven. Whether you put your jam or your cream first just make sure there is plenty of both!
- 18.5 oz Plain flour
- 3 oz. Sugar
- 3 oz. Butter
- 1 tbsp. Baking powder
- 11 oz. Buttermilk
- 3.5 oz. Raisins
- 1 Green apple
- 1 Egg (to make egg wash use one egg and 1 tbsp cold water)
- Mix cold butter, sugar, flour and baking powder until rubbed in (approx. 8 minutes)
- Add 90% butter milk and mix for further 8 minutes, check and see if last 10% is needed
- Add in the raisins and grate the apple into the mix and combine
- Roll the dough to 4cm thick, then fold the dough back onto its self, flip it upside down and roll again to 4cm high
- Stamp out the scones with a 50mm round cutter, brush with the egg wash
- Place these onto a greased baking tray and leave to prove for 20-30 min
- Cook @ 390°F for 15 minutes
Serve straight away with clotted cream and any flavour jam you have.
I’ll let you decide which should go first!
Adam’s Egg And Cress Sandwiches
Egg and cress sandwiches are one of the country’s most traditional and beloved accompaniments to afternoon tea. They are as classic and simple as they come, but done well they are fantastic! Being vegetarian friendly they are a real crowd pleaser and perfect for both adults and kids.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
- 8 slices of your preferred bread
- Butter for spreading
- 8 free range eggs
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 small banana shallot
- Salt and pepper
- Place the eggs into a suitable sized sauce pan and cover in cold water, make sure the eggs are flat on the bottom and not stacked
- Place onto a high heat and bring to the boil as quick as you can and cook for 8 minutes
- Remove the eggs and place into ice cold water
- Once cold, peel the shell and rinse the eggs
- I find the best way is to chop the eggs with a knife, as it gives a better texture rather than grating
- Peel and finely dice the shallot
- Add the shallot to the chopped egg, along with the mayonnaise
- Season generously with salt and pepper
- Butter your preferred bread, I personally love a nice seeded bread for this
- Generously spread on the egg mixture and cover with the washed and picked watercress to taste (I like loads)
Cut into triangles or rectangles (whichever you prefer) and enjoy!
Kelly McAlister, Maui Jim
Kelly McAlister of Maui Jim will be with us on the calls each week as judge and jury to see which planner really goes all-in with the theme. So engage, be creative, and have fun... and you may be the winner!
She’ll be doing some gifting that will surely lift your shelter-in-place spirits!